Moving can be stressful time for you and your family. Detailed planning, organization and useful tips may make the process more pleasant and unforgettable. NewRay Moving is happy to provide you with moving tips and suggestions that will help you throughout an entire moving process.
Four to Six Weeks before the move:
- Sort and clean your closets, cupboards, shelves, garage and basement. Try to discard everything you do not use anymore, you can do it through garage sales, donations or even gifts to your friends, relatives and neighbors. This will save your time and space during and after the move.
- Make a complete list of items that you are planning to move. Evaluate whether you would like to move all the furniture or just a part of it. Make sure that all the furniture (ex: fridge, washing machine, dryer) you are planning to move will fit into your new home.
- Notify security company, insurance company, post office, bank, veterinarian, medical advisor and other third parties about your move and provide them with a new address.
- Plan your moving date and consider your travel plans.
Two or Three Weeks before the move:
- Confirm the date of the move and notify your landlord or realtor, telephone, electric, gas and water companies to verify the date with them.
- Make arrangement for same services at your new destination to start the services on the day of your arrival.
- Discontinue or change mailing and billing addresses for any regular services.
One Week before the move:
- Keep detailed receipt and record of your moving expenses.
- Prepare your children and pets for the moving day.
- Prepare all your valuable belongings for the move, jewelry, all legal documents and other important items should be placed in a secure box of safe in order not to be lost during the moving process)
- Double-check the moving list and make sure you placed everything you are planning to move there.
- Collect all personal belongings and place them into the boxes. Order boxes and packing equipment in advance. Mark and sort the boxes by categories, identify the top and bottom of the boxes.
Day before the Move:
- If you ordered a full or partial packing service, they usually should arrive a day prior to the moving date.
- Make sure all fragile items are packed safely and securely in order to avoid any damages.
- Double-check all the labels on the boxes.
- Collect house keys and documents that you will leave with the new owners, your real estate agent or landlord.
- Double check your mailbox to avoid any left-behind mail or post.
- Notify your close friend or relative about your move for an emergency case.
Day of the move:
- Check your mover’s inventory list with your records, make sure to get the copy.
- Give the last minute check to every room and closet. Make sure to turn off the water and air-conditioning supplies, lock all the windows and back yard doors, and turn off the light in every room.
- Check Bill of Lading for accuracy before you sign.
- Make sure you have the truck driver’s name and contact information. Confirm the final destination address.
Moving in Day:
- Arrive to the new home before the moving crew will arrive.
- Contact utility companies to verify the start dates.
- Place a floor plan of your new house by the entrance, so the movers know where to place the furniture and boxes.
- Check the condition of the furniture and boxes while they are unloaded. Personally report any loss or damage to the moving coordinator.
After You Settled In:
- Change your permanent address on your insurance, driving license and other personal documents.
- Register your car at the new address.
- Walk around your neighborhood to get idea about the area and what is close to your house.
- Make new friends with your neighbors.
- Register to vote.
Month Prior to Move
- Change your address with the post office.
- Change your address with the IRS.
- •Hire a moving company or rent a moving vehicle.
- Transfer or get copies of medical records (and school records if you have children).
- Get referrals from your current doctor for new doctors in the neighborhood you’ll be moving to.
- Update your insurance policies (home, auto, and so on).
- Check with your insurance company to see if your belongings are covered during the move.
- •Cancel your plans with cable, telephone, newspaper, lawn, and home security companies.
- Change your address with magazine and newspaper subscriptions and creditors.
Weeks Prior to Move
- Cancel utility service for the day after your move date.
- Purchase packing supplies (boxes, tape, markers, and so on).
- Make travel arrangements on moving day and any special arrangements for small children and/or pets.
- Start packing, boxing items systematically and labeling them accordingly.
- If you can, type out a list of what general items are in each box so you have a master list.
[NestNote] Set aside items you will need immediately and make a note to load this box last.
1 Week Prior to Move
- Confirm reservation with moving company or rental truck company.
- Gather and set aside important documents (don’t pack these—carry them with you during the move).
- Transfer prescriptions to your local pharmacy.
- Close/transfer bank accounts (if switching banks) and order checks with your new address.
- Send out change of address cards to friends, relatives, neighbors, organizations, and so on.
- Return items that don’t belong to you (movies, books, and so on).
- Clean! (appliances, carpet, walls, and so on).
Day Before Move
- Take out cash to give as tips to the movers (if you hired).
- Buy bottles of water for you and anyone helping you.
- Pack the last of your items and leave out one small suitcase for your pajamas and toiletries.
After the Move
- Change your address with DMV— update driver’s license and plates (if moving out of state). Allow about two weeks for arrival.
- Change your address with your employer.